A little taste of Spring

By this time of the year, I am usually itching for signs of Spring to arrive.  This year is a little different...they never really seemed to leave.  Driving to northern Maryland, I saw flowering quince blooming along the roadway.  Daffodils have been blooming in Crystal City for two weeks.  This has been a very strange winter.  That being said, I thought I would share a little project I did because I just couldn't wait to get my hands into the soil.  I had a nifty urn that didn't survive the freezing/thawing weather intact but I really love the antique look it provides for this project.  It is very simple...plants can be found in your yard or your local garden center.  If you are in a colder zone, look for plants that are outside in your garden center.  They will survive being left outside until Spring truly arrives.
Supplies...including that all important cup of coffee!
  • Container
  • Soil
  • Digging implement
  • Plants
  • Imagination
  • Watering can

Fill container with soil and add moss (I scooped this up right from a wet, shady spot in my yard)

I collected ivy from my shade garden. In fact, it grows up an entire outside wall of my house.  English Ivy is cold hardy to 10 to 20 degrees below zero Fahrenheit when in the ground or 10-15 degrees when potted.  It can be difficult to contain in a garden but in this planting it should not be a problem.

Urn planted with moss and ivy

I added smooth stones for definition. I also made a polymer clay mushroom for some pizzazz.

Finished product!  I dug up some emerging fern fronds. I don't know if they will survive but I have a whole hillside of them and they can be replaced when necessary.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CC3C #3

Altered Clogs using Stencils with Texture Paste

CC3C #7 Painted Industrial